LOSP Explainer
From October 11, 2022 until July 2026, I will be studying law under
California's Law Office Study Program (LOSP). This is a rare program
only offered in CA and 3 other states (Virginia, Washington, and
Vermont). In all other states, you must attend law school in order to be
eligible to take the Bar exam. In my case, I'll become eligible after 4
years of working at least 18 hours a week under a CA attorney. Some
fees and occasional paperwork are required, but that's about it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How did this happen? I thought you were teaching and living the artist/activist/non-profit lyfe.
The
non-profit lyfe sucks. I want to make a sustainable income while still
helping people and maintaining my integrity. This path is one way for me
to do that! I will still continue my activism through my day job and
outside of it. I will also now be able to spend much more time and
energy on music, since I am being paid enough to actually eat/sleep/pay
rent etc. So far this has been a very liberating choice for me and I am
lucky that it is a choice I can make.
Why don't you just go to law school?
Because
it's expensive and I don't want the debt. And because I promised myself
after graduating from Princeton that I wouldn't go back to school,
ever, because it's a giant scam and too much stress. This option allows
me to make money, gain experience, and network while "in school", and
is way edgier and cooler in my opinion.
When will you officially become a lawyer then?
Whenever I find out that I pass the Bar, so hopefully in August or September 2026.
Why employment law?
Under
this program, you can study with any lawyer with 5+ years of CA
practice experience. I decided to work with an employment lawyer because
I'm interested in helping society evolve into new systems beyond
capitalism. I may also decide to study labor law (paving pathways
for more effective union formation) as well as business and property law (to help people form their own alternatives to exploitation-based economies).
So are you going to become all rich and slimy and stuck up?
No.
Are you going to be all fancy and wear fancy lawyer clothes and drive a fancy lawyer car?
Probably.
Are you basically studying all the time?
Not
really. I have to study a couple hours a week for the Baby Bar, which
is a mini qualifying exam also known as the First Year Law Students'
Exam (FYLSE). Only LOSP students and students at non-ABA accredited law schools
are required to take the Baby Bar. I will take it in October 2023. In
addition to Bar study, I also have to learn and practice a lot of legal
concepts at work that are relevant to my job. That's pretty much it.
Can I come to you for legal advice?
Eventually,
but not yet. I can share what I believe to be relevant resources and/or general legal
information, but I can't tell you what you or anyone else "should do" in
a given situation. Keep rooting for me and I will reach that point!
What will you do after you pass the bar?
I plan to become a civil rights attorney, generally speaking, with a focus on labor and employment law. My plan may change.
Can I call you Eileen Torrez, Esq.?
Soon.
Comments
Post a Comment